Saturday, April 9, 2011

Stir-fried Cucumbers

So today I began my outdoor spring cleaning... putting away the shovels in the common areas, vacuuming the stairs, washing the floors, hooking up the hoses, sweeping outside, raking dead leaves, fertilizing the grass and planting grass seed... Wouldn't you think, since I live in a three flat, that someone else would help? Or at least say thank you?  Nope.  This is why I dislike the city (or at least living the same building as other people).  I do not get paid for taking care of the grounds outside of my building or the common areas.  I am not the building manager.  I am the person that gets annoyed when things start to look dirty or worn down, when there is trash sitting around the building, when the grass starts getting really tall, etc and am the only one who takes care of it.   I rake, sweep, mop, mow, paint, etc and the people downstairs cant even say thank you.  They own this place too, don't they want to protect their investment?  Then I start feeling awkward because they come in and out with their friends (they are my age) and just stare at me while I am cutting the grass or trying to keep up the place.  I am the one that feels like a dork while they do nothing... what's the problem here?


This dish is one of my favorite.  My dad has been making it since I was in high school and usually it has finely diced chicken in it, but for my new diet I have to go with just cucumbers.   Cucumbers are not the first thing you think of when talking about stir fry but they turn out very tender.  This dish works out really well for those of us who love cucumbers but cant digest them raw.   Since my husband was having dinner with me and wanted some meat (but I wanted my cucumbers meat free) I marinated some chicken breast in char siu and grilled it on my grill pan.  Meat as a side order, I've come a long way since October!

Stir-fried Cucumbers


Ingredients
2 large cucumbers (I use seedless)
2 tsp salt
10 cloves of garlic chopped coarsely
2 dried hot red pepper
4 Tbs of soy sauce
1 Tbs sherry
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbs of peanut oil
3 scallions chopped

Peel the cucumbers, seed them if they have seeds, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.  Put the cucumbers in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss.  Set aside for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, pour the cucumbers into a colander.  Quickly wash with fresh water then use your hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.

Heat up your oil in a wok.  I do not have one, so I use a large pan.  Add in the garlic and stir fry for around 15 seconds.  Add the hot red peppers and stir fry for 15 more seconds.  Add the cucumbers and stir fry for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.  Mix the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sesame oil, sherry, and sugar together in another bowl.  Pour onto the cucumbers and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes stirring occasionally.   Remove before the cucumbers become mushy and mix in scallions.

3 comments:

Tessa said...

Sounds great! What is the purpose of salting and resting the cucs?

Lizzy said...

Cucumbers have so much water in them that the salt draws out the water and allows the cucumber draw in more of the flavoring that you add. I do the same with my bread and butter refrigerator pickles.

taywon said...

I knew it could be done. Cooking cucumbers seems totally of the wall, but you and me, we think outside the box. We are rebels!