Saturday, January 1, 2011

2 Sides: Curried Swiss Chard and Broccoli with Mustard Vinaigrette

Happy New Years! I'm a bit tired but made another cool dish today for lunch so I have to get some of my others posted before I forget them.


These two dishes are great sides. I made the broccoli slaw first a few weeks ago. It was the first time I have ever tried broccoli and I thought it was tasty (for broccoli). However, since I have always been told not to eat broccoli with GP, I only had a few bites.

The second side dish, curried swiss chard, is a visually stunning dish. In Barbara Kingsolver's books she kept singing the praises of swiss chard and how beautiful the rainbow chard is, so I wanted to try. I found a curry recipe in my Color Me Vegan cookbook but didn't have any curry paste, so I improvised. I looked at a few good recipes online that only needed curry powder and created this side for my family Christmas lunch. I didn't like the taste of chard, so unfortunately it is crossed off my new foods list, but everyone else liked the dish and my mom asked for the recipe. The best part is, the chard is so cheap! I got a bunch for $1.35 and it was organic.

Curried Swiss Chard



Ingredients
1 bunch of swiss chard
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbs of curry powder
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut off the tough ends of the swiss chard and throw them away. Then chop the stems (up to the leaves) in 1/2 inch thick pieces. Heat a saute pan on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions, garlic, and stems to the pan and saute until tender.

Chop the green leaves and cook them until wilted. Take off of heat. Stir in the curry powder and add salt and pepper to taste.

Broccoli with Mustard Vinaigrette



Ingredients
1 pound of steamed broccoli
2 tbs of whole grain mustard
4 tbs of rice wine vinegar
2 tsp of honey
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Put the steamed broccoli in the food processor and pulse until it is in big chunks (like pre-made broccoli slaw. Combine the other ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Then pour over broccoli and mix.

No comments: