Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pupusas


As someone who is GF I am always looking for quick ways to make bread-like things.  To be honest, I really don't have the attention span to measure all of the types of flour, wait for yeast to rise, and to make bread.  This recipe looked like a fun way to make something with a bread-like texture and to use the vegetarian refried beans from Amy's that I love.  It also gave me a chance to use the masa that I have had up in my cabinet for almost a year (my classes have eliminated the time for me to try to make tamales for the first time).

Pupusas
adapted from Vegetarian Times



Ingredients
4 cups masa harina
3 cups of warm water
3 Tbs of ground cumin
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup of refried beans
8 tsp vegetable oil

Combine masa, cumin, baking poder, and salt.  Stir in 3 cups of warm water to form soft dough.  You can add more water if needed.  Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes.  Put wax paper onto a baking sheet.  Roll dough into 16 balls.  Made indentation in the centers of each.  Put 1 Tbs of beans in each.  Fold edges over fillings and roll into balls again.  Press down into 4 inch disks.  Heat 2 tsp of oil in skillet on medium-high.  Add 4 pupusas at a time to skillet and cook for 5 - 6 minutes, turning over once.  Garnish with salsa, guacamole, etc and enjoy!

No comments: