Thursday, September 16, 2010

Honey Pecan Figs

So, I am trying to increase the number of foods that I like to eat. Foods that I wont eat include all fish and seafood (except sushi tuna), cheese (except parmesan), and many fruits and vegetables. However in the past year or two I have found new foods that I enjoy include avocados, daikon radish, and spinach. This has made me much more adventurous in what types of foods I will try.

This week when I went to the produce store they had a container of black mission figs for $2.00. I knew that I enjoy fig newtons (well I did before going gluten free) and dried figs, so I thought that I could turn these figs into a great dessert. I didnt know how to pick ripe figs, and just went for the ones that were soft. I then went looking for fig recipes. Most of them had some type of cheese or were wrapped in meat that I didnt have around the house (and am trying not to eat) so I combined 3 recipes to make a honey pecan fig dessert. Once I got a chance to eat my fig creation, I figured out that I don't like them. They are a bit earthy for me and the texture really threw me off. However my husband really liked them and ate the whole bowl.

Honey Pecan Figs


Ingredients:

1 pint of fresh figs
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of roasted pecans
1 tablespoon of cinnamon

Heat the oven to 375 F. Wash, cut, and stem figs. Slice them in half and put into a dish. Drizzle the honey over the figs and sprinkle on the cinnamon. Put in oven for 15 minutes or until the figs are soft but not so soft that you cant pick them up. Let them cool for 10 to 15 min and spread roasted pecans on top.





No comments: