Saturday, September 18, 2010

Moroccan Spaghetti Squash

Why is it so hard to get on one of the food picture sites? Or any picture site? So I submitted my pictures for the last 2 dishes to both Photograzing and Tastespotting 2 or 3 days ago. It seems like they have all types of pictures up there, mine can't be that bad, so why havent they posted them? It turned out the same with my last food blog 2 years ago, I wanted to get my site out there and they never posted the pictures so no one ever looked at my blog, and what fun is that? You kinda feel stupid writing to yourself, even though your mom will read your blog when you send her the link for a recipe or two... oh well. Its just discouraging. The same happened when I posted one of my pictures of my cat Buddy to stuffonmycat.com. My brother and I spent a lot of time stacking DVDs on the most easygoing cat ever (I miss him!) and I watched for weeks trying to see if they ever posted it...and nothing.

So there is my rant. Today I tried spaghetti squash for the first time. I was actually going to try this recipe yesterday, but stupid Trader Joe's had their squash mislabeled and I ended up buying acorn squash instead even though I knew that it wasn't the right kind of squash. So then I went to this great fruit and vegetable stand by me and got a spaghetti squash. The final dish was ok. I really liked the flavor but the texture threw me off some. It think I'll get more used to it after I finish it off.


Moroccan Spaghetti Squash



Ingredients

1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) spaghetti squash
3 tablespoons of butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Take a knife and pierce the squash all around (around an inch in) to keep it from blowing up in your microwave. Put it in your microwave and cook it on full power for 6 - 7 minute on one side and around 10 on the other until it feels slightly soft when pressed. I would put it on a plate while in your microwave and for when you take it out because mine made a huge watery mess both in my microwave and on my countertop. Let rest for 5 minutes.

While cooking, take the butter and melt it in a pan. Add the garlic and saute for a minute on medium heat. Then stir in the spices and salt and remove from heat.

Cut the squash in half and take out the seeds. Then use a fork to scrape the squash out into a bowl in a way to make the strands look like spaghetti. Then mix the butter and spices into the squash.

No comments: