Sunday, October 2, 2011

GF Pasta Puttanesca

It has been a long week since I have been super sick. It started off as a head cold, which I got after taking my cat to the vet.  I knew something was off with my cat Crookers but it turns out that he has some weird eye condition that the vet has no clue about and hyperthyroidism.  It was such a stressful experience that my sinuses filled up right when we went out the door.  Then I worked all week and the cold went to my chest.   Luckily I got antibiotics on Friday, so I should be healthy soon.  Hopefully, because we will be going to New Orleans!



One of my favorite summer dishes, which can be made any time with canned goods, is Pasta Puttanesca.  I have fond memories of being a child and having my dad serve this dish out of a big bowl that looks like a watermelon in the summer.  I picked out all of the olives (and still pick out some every now and then) but always loved it warm or cold.  Back then the noodles were not GF but using GF noodles still works out well in this dish.  

Pasta Puttanesca


Ingredients
1 lb of pasta (can be GF)
3 Tbs of olive oil
6 cloves of garlic chopped
28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes chopped (or you can buy them chopped ahead of time)
1 cup of pitted chopped black olives
8 Tbs of capers
Chopped parsley to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to directions.  Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium.  Add garlic and cook gently until they are almost melted.  Stir in tomatoes with juice, olives and capers.  Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper.  Then mix sauce, pasta, and parsley and serve.  

No comments: